Yummy southern fried chicken based on the leaked KFC recipe but with a few tweaks.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
500g Chicken Breasts
200ml Milk (I use skimmed but semi or full fat is fine)
1 Large egg
Vegetable Oil (for frying)
Dry mix coating
220g Self Raising Four
2 tsp Salt
1.5 tsp Thyme
1.5 tsp Basil
1 tsp Oregano
1 tbsp Celery Salt
1 tbsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Mustard Powder
4 tbsp Paprika
2 tbsp Garlic Salt
1 tbsp Ground Ginger
tbsp White Pepper
2 tbsp Golden Bread Crumbs
(MAKE SURE YOU NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TABLESPOONS AND THE TEASPOONS…. IT WILL MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE IF YOU GET THAT MUDDLED! TRUST ME…. I SPEAK WITH FROM A POSITION OF EXPERIENCE.)
1. If you can remove the chicken from the fridge about 20 minutes before starting to bring the temperature up a little. Slice the chicken breasts into small fillet strips aprox. 2cm thick.
2. Whisk the milk and egg in a large bowl or jug with salt and pepper (to taste). Then add the portioned chicken pieces and leave whilst preparing the dry coating.
3. In a large bowl add the flour and all the other dry ingredients; and stir.
The golden breadcrumbs are not added in this picture but chuck them in too and give it all a good stir. This ingredient gives the final finish slightly more crunch. The mix will look like this.
This make a lot of dry coating. Put at least half into an airtight container to save for another time…. or reduce the amounts to make less.
4. Prepare a rack to lay the chicken on once it is coated. I recommend using something like a cooling rack with kitchen roll laid underneath to collect the loose coating that falls off. It will save you a lot of tidying up later on.
Then take a couple of chicken pieces at a time and toss them in the dry coating.
Once the chicken is coated place it on the rack until all pieces are covered.
5. Taking a shallow frying pan and add vegetable oil up to a level of about 0.75cm to 1cm. Heat up the oil to a medium high heat.
Also turn on your oven to a low heat (Gas Mark 1, 140°c, 120°c fan, 275°f) Take a grill pan or baking sheet and layer with kitchen roll.
6. You want the oil hot enough that the coating will fry quickly so it crisps up so I drop in a pinch of dry coating first. It is sizzles on contact the oil is ready. Pop in two to three pieces at a time.
Fry for 1 minute on each side.
7. Transfer each piece onto the grill pan or baking tray and pop into the oven to finish cooking and keep warm. Once all the chicken is fried leave the chicken in the oven for a further 5 mins.
8. As with any chicken dish check the chicken is cooked all the way through. Pick a thick one and cut into it to check. EAT THEM ALL UP. YUMMY.
You can use skin on chicken pieces when making this but we found it a little too greasy in our household.